Jesus Walks In Words Custom Search

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

The Law And The Sabbath Day Truth

I’ve heard it said that the law was nailed to the cross, which means the Sabbath Day truth is no longer binding. To support this position the following Scripture is often used.

Matthew 5:17-18
Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished.

As the thought goes, Jesus fulfilled the law, which means it is no longer binding on us today. The strange part happens when I say, great this means I...

* can murder?
* can steal?
* can commit adultery?

Not one person yet has answered this part affirmatively while positioning this self same verse as their support for not keeping the Sabbath.

That aside, let’s look at what exactly is being said from the position of those that use this verse to say that Sabbath keeping has been done away with.

Matthew 5:17-18
Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them.

The discussion boils down to how one would define the word “fulfill.” We turn to Webster for a discussion on that topic.

Fulfill
1: To bring an end to
2: To put into affect
3: To convert into reality
4: To make full

The first definition is what is generally considered to be the right one for this verse. However, when you put it into play you read.

Matthew 5:17-18
Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to bring an end to them.

That just doesn’t make sense.

How about the other definitions?

Matthew 5:17-18
Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to put them into affect.

Matthew 5:17-18
Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to convert them into reality.

Matthew 5:17-18
Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to make them full.

These all make sense and as a such what this verse is actually saying is that Christ puts the law that was given by the Prophets into full affect.

No comments:

Post a Comment